Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Tasting the Winning Also Rans

The British half of the second runnings from my IHP 2012 hypermild brewday blew the Belgian half out of the water.  To recap, I brewed a massive barleywine with the first runnings, and a reasonable English Pale Ale/Best Bitter wort with the second runnings, pitching half with good ol Safale S-04 and the other half with Wyeast's French Saison.  I was a lot more excited about the French Saison half, Bitter Francophile, because it was something new, but it turned out a bit unbalanced.  I'm going to keep playing with the yeast, but this wasn't the wort for it.

The British half turned out very well, indeed.  The crystal malt played nice with subdued esters to lend a sweet fruitiness that was balanced by the hops and second-running tannins.  Served on the lower end of the carbonation range, this was a very nice beer.  The body wasn't quite what I like to see in these beers, but I'm not complaining about something so minor in what was, essentially, a free beer.  


The reason I don't have a nice picture of this extremely pleasant pale ale is that it all went down the gullets of my loving family and a few choice friends in a single day.  We had a party for my youngest daughter's second birthday with a pinata and some cake for the kids, and smoked pork tacos and beer for the grownups.  (Quick note: kid's birthdays are best before they realize they have birthdays).  I put this beer on tap around noon, and had to hook the Bitter Francophile before 5.  Maybe I have an alcoholic family, but I believe that these beers are crowd pleasers.

To me, English pales (or British bitters, whatever) are the platonic ideal of beer.  This is my white-can-with-the-word-beer-stenciled-in-black-spray-paint beer, the beer that weaned me off the macro-lagers of my misbegotten youth, the house beer at my house beer.  There's not much better—doesn't matter if it's hot, cold, wet, dry, with food, or just a lonely pint—than an easy-drinking, well-balanced English Pale (although its Irish, Scots, and American cousins all come pretty darned close).  The only problem is that they go fast.  

And now I'm out again.  Think I need to get brewing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...