Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Tasting Broke Okra IPA

This one is going fast, so I think I need to get the tasting notes down before it's too late. As much as I profess to be an acolyte of malt, there is something about a well-done IPA that is undeniable. My plan on the brew day was to make an APA, but when I overshot the gravity and went into IPA territory, the only reasonable thing to do was load up on the hops.


It's possible I need to work on my beer photography skills. 
Appearance -  Okay, this I'm truly proud of. Despite 4 ounces of dry hops, this beer turned out to be absolutely crystal clear. To the point that I ended up texting pictures to people of text through the glass. Nothing darker than victory malt (around 8%) so it turned out a nice pale gold.  The head on this thing is just silly, persistent, meringue-like. 

Aroma - This smells great!  There's a citrus fruity floral thing with undertones of pine and danky funk that I can't help but ascribe to the Cascade and Chinook, respectively.  That said, one of the fruitiest hop notes I've ever gotten was from a 100% Chinook beer where the dry hops went in at high krausen, much like this beer. There's also a just-there bit of maltiness that I imagine comes from the biscuit and victory malts.

Mouthfeel and Flavor - Despite finishing dry (certainly dryer than Beersmith expected), this beer has a substantial mouthfeel. The first flavor on tasting is straight citrusy hops with a bracing bitterness. The bitterness is lingering and would be too much, except for a malty sweet backbone that doesn't quite balance it out, but makes it pleasant.  
Still life with microwave warranty through IPA.

Notes - A nicely-done, west-coast-style IPA in the mold of a lot of what we were (or at least I was) drinking ca. 2010, when the likes of Pliny and Firestone Walker filtered in to my consciousness. It finished super dry and clean, so it drinks very easy, which is a little scary at 6.8% abv. My only thought is that I might want to make it dryer and scarier with a touch of sugar to dry it out. The hop combo is classic early microbrew (in a good way). One thing I love about Chinook and Cascade is that you can make a beer with a ton of hops, and it doesn't cost a fortune. That said, it might be worth it to play around with varieties that have come out in the last 20 years (the Mrs., hophead that she is, is partial to Simcoe).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...